Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Swift Kick

I have been "tirekicking" Swift.

I have been using a loaner mac from work which somehow allowed me to download & install XCode without a Developer License.

So I have already written Swift code & created an OS/X application.  Whee!

That being said, I have begun to plumb the documentation & learn some syntax.

I hate to admit it but I'm starting to like it.

They have successfully lifted many of the best features of Python, Java and C#.  I actually find the -> notation used to denote a function's output somewhat elegant.

It tickles that literature-minded-Unix-geek nerve just the right way.

So I have XCode, which is a utlititarian bear, to build my apps for me & I have a REPL interface now, in the form of the "playground".

Once thing about playgrounds that it actually very nice is that you can save them as-is & share them with each other as documentation with the added ability to play with the examples right there in front of you.

I still have a LOT to learn - not the least of which is my way around the supporting libraries.

But one thing at a time...

No comments:

Post a Comment